Historical Markers

Page 
 of 6
Records 1 to 10 of 56
 
Name
Text
Photo 1
Area
Location
Date Placed
Condition
Colonels Island

Until about 1778 this island was called Bermuda, but afterward called Colonel’s Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included “Woodville,” “Herron’s Point,” “Maxwellton,” “Suligree,” “Maybank,: “Black Rock,” “Laws,” “Cedar Point,” “Hickory Hill,” “Dunham’s,” and “Melon Bluff.”

Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonel’s Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder. Long before European explorers reached North America Colonel’s Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation.

Colonels Island Ga 38 at Kings Road on Colonel's Island 1996 Fair
Dorchester Village

The village of Dorchester was settled in 1843, by families from Midway and Sunbury. It was named for the Dorchesters in England, Massachusetts and South Carolina, ancestral homes of the Midway people.

Among the early settlers of the village were: Captain Abiel Winn, Captain Cyrus Mallard, Dr. Edward J. Delegal, B.S. Busbee, W.S. Baker, Dr. Benjamin King, William Thompson, John L. Mallard, Thomas Mallard, Benjamin Allen, Dr. Troup Maxwell, William Stevens, Henry Jones and Dr. Raymond Harris.

Dorchester Village 1957 Excellent
Flemington Presbyterian Church

Organized in 1815 as the Church and Society of Gravel Hill, this was a branch of Midway Church. The Rev. Robert Quarterman was the first pastor. The first edifice was built in 1836 on land donated by Simon Fraser. This one was completed in 1852. Named Flemington in 1850 honoring William Fleming, it was separated from Midway in 1865.

In 1866 it was admitted to the Georgia Presbytery with the Rev. D.B. Buttolph, pastor; W.E.W. Quarterman, Thomas Cassels, Ezra Stacy, James Laing, elders; S.A. Fraser, L.M. Cassels, deacons. Ezra Stacy was first Sunday School Superintendent. Bell and silver communion service are from Midway Church.

Flemington 1957
Gum Branch Baptist Church

This church was organized in 1833 as the Gum Branch Primitive Baptist Church by members of Beard’s Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Among the charter members were Samuel and David Delk. The land for the church was given by Fashau Long, Jr.

In 1838 a church building was erected to replace the brush arbor meeting place. Leaders at this time were James N. Mobley, Albert Mobley, A.B. Flowers, Evan Wells, J.N. Tatum, John and Jeremiah Baker, and Augustus Delk. The earliest known pastor was the Reverend Lewis Price, Jr., 1860- 61.

Gum Branch Church was a member of the Baptist Union Association until 1908 when it became a member of the New Sunbury Baptist Association. The church began having full time services in February 1949.

Erected 1996 by the Liberty County Historical Society

Gumbranch Hwy 196 W 1996
Bacon-Fraser House

The Bacon-Fraser House was built on a 23 acre tract situated on the eastern boundary of the town of Hinesville in 1839 by Mary Jane Bacon, widow of Major John Bacon. The house has been owned and lived in by their heirs until the present time.

The architecture is “plantation plain style” and its workmanship reflects the work of the best craftsmen of the day. The front and two-story section remains virtually unchanged. However, the two shed rooms and kitchen to the rear were removed and additional rooms added in 1923. The 1923 section was removed in 1979-1980 and replaced by shed rooms, porch, dining room and kitchen on the original foundation in the architectural style and interior design of the 1839 era.

A detachment of Sherman’s army assaulted the plantation in December in 1864, pillaging, looting and burning. The house was spared the torch, but the barn and all outbuildings were burned by the Northern troops.

Erected 1996 by the Liberty County Historical Society

Hinesville 208 E Court St 1996
Blue Star Memorial Highway BLUE STAR MEMORIAL HIGHWAY A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America sponsored by Liberty County Council of Garden Clubs and Oleander District of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. in cooperation with the Department of the Army Hinesville
Bradwell Institute

The town of Hinesville was established in 1837 and shortly thereafter, in 1841, the Hinesville Institute (or Academy) was established with Colonel James Sharpe Bradwell as its first headmaster. The first building was erected at a cost of $349.12-1/2 and stood on the Courthouse Square where Bradwell Park is now located.

Hinesville Institute was closed during the War Between the States, but was reorganized and reopened in 1871 by Captain Samuel Dowse Bradwell, C.S.A., son of James Sharpe Bradwell. The name Bradwell Institute was given the reorganized school honoring Colonel Bradwell, the first headmaster of the Hinesville Institute.

Bradwell Institute was at first a boarding school and college prepatory, offering courses in Latin, Greek, chemistry, and “other useful and practical sciences.” At the turn of the twentieth century the school became a part of the public school system and was for many years the only high school in this section of Georgia, drawing students from surrounding counties.

Erected 1998 by the Liberty County Historical Society

 

Hinesville 1998 Good
Bradwell Park

Bradwell Park 1974 | In Memory of Samuel Dowse Bradwell, Founder of Bradwell Institute, on this site in 1871. Built by City of Hinesville with Assistance from Hud and The Liberty County Garden Clubs.

Carl R. Dykes, Mayor

Ben Darsey, Mayor Pro-Tem

Frank Bagley, Councilman

Gene Mobley, Councilman

W. L. Stafford, Jr., Councilman

Alonzo Walden, Councilman

Donald H. Fraser, City Attorney

Hinesville 1974
Charlton Hines House

Charlton Hines

Hinesville 1998
Fort Morris Cannon Hinesville Liberty County Historic Courthouse