Name
Text
Photo 1
Photo by
Area
Location
Date Placed
Type
Condition
Status
Colonels Island

Until about 1778 this island was called Bermuda, but afterward called Colonel’s Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included “Woodville,” “Herron’s Point,” “Maxwellton,” “Suligree,” “Maybank,: “Black Rock,” “Laws,” “Cedar Point,” “Hickory Hill,” “Dunham’s,” and “Melon Bluff.”

Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonel’s Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder.

Long before European explorers reached North America Colonel’s Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation.

Colonels Island Ga 38 at Kings Road on Colonel's Island 1996 Free Standing Fair
Dorchester Village

The village of Dorchester was settled in 1843, by families from Midway and Sunbury. It was named for the Dorchesters in England, Massachusetts and South Carolina, ancestral homes of the Midway people.

Among the early settlers of the village were: Captain Abiel Winn, Captain Cyrus Mallard, Dr. Edward J. Delegal, B.S. Busbee, W.S. Baker, Dr. Benjamin King, William Thompson, John L. Mallard, Thomas Mallard, Benjamin Allen, Dr. Troup Maxwell, William Stevens, Henry Jones and Dr. Raymond Harris.

Dorchester Village 1957 Free Standing Excellent Refurbished 2015
Flemington Presbyterian Church

Organized in 1815 as the Church and Society of Gravel Hill, this was a branch of Midway Church. The Rev. Robert Quarterman was the first pastor. The first edifice was built in 1836 on land donated by Simon Fraser. This one was completed in 1852. Named Flemington in 1850 honoring William Fleming, it was separated from Midway in 1865.

In 1866 it was admitted to the Georgia Presbytery with the Rev. D.B. Buttolph, pastor; W.E.W. Quarterman, Thomas Cassels, Ezra Stacy, James Laing, elders; S.A. Fraser, L.M. Cassels, deacons. Ezra Stacy was first Sunday School Superintendent. Bell and silver communion service are from Midway Church.

Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-10/378)

David Seibert Flemington 875 Old Sunbury Rd 1957 Free Standing
Reverend Joseph Williams Freedman Grove Hwy 17 and Freedman Grove Rd Monument Good
Gum Branch Baptist Church

This church was organized in 1833 as the Gum Branch Primitive Baptist Church by members of Beard’s Creek Primitive Baptist Church. Among the charter members were Samuel and David Delk. The land for the church was given by Fashau Long, Jr.

In 1838 a church building was erected to replace the brush arbor meeting place. Leaders at this time were James N. Mobley, Albert Mobley, A.B. Flowers, Evan Wells, J.N. Tatum, John and Jeremiah Baker, and Augustus Delk. The earliest known pastor was the Reverend Lewis Price, Jr., 1860 - 61.

Gum Branch Church was a member of the Baptist Union Association until 1908 when it became a member of the New Sunbury Baptist Association. The church began having full time services in February 1949.

Erected 1996 by the Liberty County Historical Society

Gumbranch 8590 GA Highway 196 W 1996 Free Standing
Bacon-Fraser House

The Bacon-Fraser House was built on a 23 acre tract situated on the eastern boundary of the town of Hinesville in 1839 by Mary Jane Bacon, widow of Major John Bacon. The house has been owned and lived in by their heirs until the present time.

The architecture is “plantation plain style” and its workmanship reflects the work of the best craftsmen of the day. The front and two-story section remains virtually unchanged. However, the two shed rooms and kitchen to the rear were removed and additional rooms added in 1923. The 1923 section was removed in 1979-1980 and replaced by shed rooms, porch, dining room and kitchen on the original foundation in the architectural style and interior design of the 1839 era.

A detachment of Sherman’s army assaulted the plantation in December in 1864, pillaging, looting and burning. The house was spared the torch, but the barn and all outbuildings were burned by the Northern troops.

Hinesville 208 E Court St 1996 Free Standing
Blue Star Memorial Highway

BLUE STAR MEMORIAL HIGHWAY A tribute to the Armed Forces that have defended the United States of America sponsored by Liberty County Council of Garden Clubs and Oleander District of The Garden Club of Georgia, Inc. in cooperation with the Department of the Army

Hinesville Free Standing
Bradwell Institute

The town of Hinesville was established in 1837 and shortly thereafter, in 1841, the Hinesville Institute (or Academy) was established with Colonel James Sharpe Bradwell as its first headmaster. The first building was erected at a cost of $349.12-1/2 and stood on the Courthouse Square where Bradwell Park is now located.

Hinesville Institute was closed during the War Between the States, but was reorganized and reopened in 1871 by Captain Samuel Dowse Bradwell, C.S.A., son of James Sharpe Bradwell. The name Bradwell Institute was given the reorganized school honoring Colonel Bradwell, the first headmaster of the Hinesville Institute.

Bradwell Institute was at first a boarding school and college prepatory, offering courses in Latin, Greek, chemistry, and “other useful and practical sciences.” At the turn of the twentieth century the school became a part of the public school system and was for many years the only high school in this section of Georgia, drawing students from surrounding counties.

Erected 1998 by the Liberty County Historical Society

 

David Seibert Hinesville 100 Pafford St 1998 Free Standing Good
Bradwell Park

In Memory of Samuel Dowse Bradwell, Founder of Bradwell Institute, on this site in 1871.

Built by City of Hinesville with Assistance from Hud and The Liberty County Garden Clubs.

Carl R. Dykes, Mayor

Ben Darsey, Mayor Pro-Tem

Frank Bagley, Councilman

Gene Mobley, Councilman

W. L. Stafford, Jr., Councilman

Alonzo Walden, Councilman

Donald H. Fraser, City Attorney

Mike Stroud Hinesville 1974 Free Standing
Charlton Hines House

One of the first houses built in Hinesville after the town was established and became the county seat of Liberty County in 1837 was that of Charlton Hines, a state senator and for whom the town was named. This house, considerably altered, was built in 1837 on town lot number 33, which faced the Court House. Hines paid sixty-one dollars for this lot.

After Hines' death the house was occupied by his son and was later used as the Hines Hotel. In 1941 the house was moved from its location on Main (originally Market) Street to its present location and converted into apartments. Later it was completely remodeled and used as offices.

The house originally was much larger than it now is and had a piazza across the front. Only the central part of the original house is still standing. An interesting feature of the 1837 interior was a ceiling medallion in the parlor.

Erected 1998 by The Liberty County Historical Society.

Hinesville 101 W Court St 1998 Free Standing
Fort Morris Cannon

This small cannon was a part of the armament of historic Fort Morris at Sunbury during the American Revolution. In November, 1778, a superior British force from Florida under Colonel Fuser of the 60th Regiment besieged the Fort. To the ultimatum to surrender the American Commander, Colonel John McIntosh, sent back the laconic reply: "COME AND TAKE IT". The enemy thereupon abandoned the siege and retired southward. In January, 1779, the British returned to Sunbury by water. Fort Morris was then under the command of Major Joseph Lane of the Continental army.

Ordered by his superiors to evacuate Sunbury following the fall of Savannah, Lane found reasons to disobey and undertook to defend the post against the overwhelming British force under General Augustin Prevost. After a short but heavy bombardment the Fort surrendered on January 9, 1779, with its garrison of 159 Continentals and 45 militia.

This cannon, which was excavated at the site of the ruins of the famous Revolutionary fortification in 1940, stands here as a reminder of America`s hard-won struggle to achieve Independence.

Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-22)

 

Mike Stroud Hinesville Liberty County Historic Courthouse 1958 Free Standing
Harrison Family Cemetery

Although the gravestones have been destroyed by weathering and vandalism, it is believed that about a dozen people are buried in this family cemetery. William Harrison died March 30, 1883, in the 72nd year of his age. His wife, Sarah Sylvester Smith Harrison (born c. 1819) was born in Providence, Rhode Island.

On January 4, 1886, Mrs. Sarah Harrison and six surviving children, heirs at law of the late William Harrison, agreed that part of the proceeds from collectible notes and accounts should be used for the purpose of erecting stones at the grave of William Harrison, deceased, and putting up a substantial enclosure around the family cemetery. Four of their children, William C. (born c. 1842), Nicholas F. (born c. 1844), Mary C. (born c. 1846), and Anna (born c. 1852), who apparently preceded their parents in death, may have been buried here. Their son, William L. Harrison (c.1859-1890) is probably interred here, also.

William Harrison operated one of the earliest mercantile stores in Hinesville and served as Hinesville postmaster and Liberty County treasurer.

Hinesville Sherwood Drive in Hinesville 1998 Free Standing Poor
Hinesville and Liberty County WWII Veterans Monument

Erected in honor
of the
men and women
of
Hinesville
and
Liberty County
who served in the
Armed Forces of the
United States of America
in World War Two.

Glory to them that died in this great cause!

Lee Hattabaugh Hinesville Georgia National Guard Armory Site Monument Good
Hinesville Methodist Church

The year 1837 marked the founding of Hinesville and the establishment of the Hinesville Methodist Church. For one hundred years this was the only church in Hinesville. The first services were held in a small frame building near the Bradwell Institute on Courthouse Square. A larger structure was later erected and used until 1942 when the church built a new edifice at the corner of main Street and Memorial Drive. In 1985 a new building was completed.

The first recorded trustees of the church were Edward Way, E.O. Andrews, John Wells, Thomas Sheppard and David Zoucks.

In 1987 the congregation celebrated one hundred and fifty years of doing the Lord`s work in Hinesville.

Hinesville 203 N Main St 1998 Free Standing
Liberty Armory Site

Returning from the Revolution, the soldiers of Liberty County re-organized themselves into a troop of cavalry, known as the Liberty Dragoons, later the Liberty Independent Troop, the oldest cavalry company in Georgia. In continuous existence since that time, this military company has participated in every war in which this country has been engaged since the Revolution. As late as 1916 the troop served as a cavalry company on the Mexican Border.

When the company went to France in World War I, it was converted to Company B, 106th Field Signal Battalion. In World War II, it became Battery B, 101st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion and took part in the campaign in New Guinea. During the Korean conflict the battery served at Camp Stewart, Ga., and at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin.

At this armory site have taken place some of the most brilliant and colorful tournaments and parades of the Old South.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-4A)

Mike Stroud Hinesville 1954 Free Standing
Liberty County

Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Consitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew, and St. James, the theatre of many important events during the Revolution, Liberty County was named for American Independence. Form it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were formed.

Samuel Morecock was commissioned Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor, Feb 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was made Clerk of Inf, and Sup. Courts of Liberty, Glynn and Camden Counties. John Lawson was sworn in as Coroner in 1790.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-6.)

Mike Stroud Hinesville 1956 Free Standing
Liberty County Confederate Monument 1861-1865

Liberty County Confederate Monument 1861-1865

War Between the States

"Lord God of hosts

defend us yet

Lest we forget.

lest we forget."

Liberty County Confederate Monument (South Face)

Liberty Independent Troop G 5th Ga. Cavalry

Liberty Guards Troop D 5th Ga. Cavalry

Liberty Mounted Rangers Jeff Davis Legion, Troop B 20th Batt. Ga. Cavalry

Liberty County Confederate Monument (West Face)

Erected by the Liberty County Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, In memory of the Confederate soldiers of Liberty County, The record of whose sublime self-sacrifice and undying devotion to duty in the service of their country is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity. C.S.A. Liberty County Confederate Monument,

Liberty County Confederate Monument (North Face)

Liberty Volunteers Co. H 25th Regt. Ga. Infantry

Altamaha Scouts Co. I 25th Regt. Ga. Infantry

Troop H 29th Batt. Ga. Cavalry Ga. Infantry

Altamaha Scouts Co. I 25th Regt. Ga. Infantry

Troop H 29th Batt. Ga. Cavalry

 

Mike Stroud Hinesville Historic Couthouse Square Monument Excellent
M1A1 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun

Replacing the aging 3-inch gun as the staple of Army heavy antiaircraft artillery at the dawn of the war, the 90mm gun went on to earn a well deserved place among the finest artillery pieces fielded by the Allies in World War II. Intended to meet the threat posed by aircraft capable of flying faster and higher, work on the 90mm began in earnest in 1938. The 90mm gun M1 was standardized in March 1940. An M1A1 version followed that added a small loading tray to the breech ring and included accommodations for a spring rammer to facilitate faster reloading. The updated M2 version of the ninety was standardized in May 1943 and sported a redesigned breech that mounted a fully automatic fuze setter-rammer. This improvement increased the 90mm gun's rate of fire to an impressive 23 to 28 round per minute.

The initial M1 mount for the ninety was a traditional “spider” design with a detachable platform and one single-axle, dual-wheeled bogie (four wheels total). In May 1941, the M1A1 replaced the original model as the standard mount for the ninety. The M1A1 mount was essentially the same as the M1 version, but introduced remote control capabilities that allowed the gun to be aimed by the battery's director through new electric-hydraulic mechanisms.

Field evaluations of the M1A1 mounts spurred development of the enhanced M2 mount, standardized in May 1943. The M2 was intended to increase the 90mm gun's capabilities in its secondary role against ground targets. The redesigned M2 featured single-axel front and rear two-tire bogies, folding platforms and armor shielding for the gun crew. Unlike the earlier mounts, it was not necessary to fully emplace the M2 before firing, enabling the 90mm gun to engage both air and ground targets more quickly. The M2 mount also depressed to a -10°, allowing the ninety to wrestle with ground troops, armored vehicles and various water craft when necessary. Early test versions of the M2 mount, notable the T2E1, made it to the field mounting M1 or M1A1 guns while development of the rammer for the 90mm M2 gun was completed.

Additionally, there was a fixed-mount M3 pedestal designed for the M1 gun. This heavily armored mount was designed primarily to convert the ninety into an effective anti-motor torpedo boat weapon, although the M3 mount was also able to fully elevate to +80° and engage aircraft by manual or remote control. After all, the 90mm was still first and foremost an antiaircraft gun. All 90mm mounts incorporated a direct fire sighting system for use against ground targets or watercraft. 90mm antiaircraft guns

90mm Antiaircraft Gun Facts
Firing Table Muzzle Velocity: 2,700 feet/second
Breech: Semi-automatic
Maximum Rate of Fire: 15 to 25 rounds/minute
Elevation Limits: 0° to 80° (down to -10° on the M2 mounts)
Recoil Type: Hydro-pneumatic
Fire Control Director: M7 or M9
Maximum Effective Slant Range: 11,500 yards
Maximum Effective Horizontal Range: 12,600 yards
Maximum Effective Vertical Range: 11,000 yards
Maximum Effective Fire Control Altitude: 30,000 feet

Actual muzzle velocity was dependent on ammunition used and environmental conditions. Maximum range was limited by a 30-second timed fuze.

Lee Hattabaugh Hinesville National Guard Armory Site Plaque Free Standing
Old Liberty County Jail

While this building was not Liberty County's first jail, it served longer than any previous jail. When in was built in 1892 the jail had "all the modern improvements and conveniences of a first class prison." Eighty years later it was condemned by Georgia Governor Lester Maddox as "a rotten, filthy rathole."

Although there is not record of its construction or its architect, it is known that the contractor, a Mr. Parkhill, had completed the two-story, three-bay brick structure by October 1892.

The interior of the jail is divided by a brick wall into two sections housing a bull-pen (or drunk tank) and two cells downstairs and two cells and the upper part of the bull-pen upstairs.

A new county jail was opened in 1969 and the Old Jail was sold at auction on March 3, 1970 to the Liberty County Historical Society, which eventually donated the building to the City of Hinesville. The Old Jail is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1998 by The Liberty County Historical Society.

Lee Hattabaugh Hinesville S. Main St. 1 Block South of the Courthouse 1998 Free Standing
Pleasant Grove AME Church Hinesville 1450 Oglethorpe Hwy W (US 84) 2003 Free Standing
Skirmish at Hinesville

On Dec. 16, 1864, a detachment of the 7th Illinois Infantry (mounted) foraging near the right flank of Gen. Sherman's army (US) which was then closing in on Savannah, met here in Hinesville a detachment of cavalry from Brig. Gen. Alfred Iverson's brigade of Maj. Gen. Joseph Wheeler's cavalry corps of the Army of Tennessee (CS). Wheeler's corps and units of the Georgia Militia had offered steady resistance to Gen. Sherman's "March to the Sea" from Atlanta to Savannah.

After a sharp skirmish through the town, the Confederate detachment withdrew toward the Canoochee River to rejoin Iverson.

Hinesville Hwy 84 W @ Ryon Ave 1958 Free Standing
Athletic Programs at Dorchester Academy 1926-1940

Founding the athletic programs was considered one of Principal Elizabeth Moore's greatest achievements. School teams came to be known as the Dorchester Academy Tigers and Tigerettes, with "Shag" the tiger as their mascot. Dorchester Academy participated in it's first athletic event in 1926, a Savannah public school track meet. Basketball teams were organized that same year.

The academy began to develop a football team in 1927 and a baseball team soon after. Boys' and girls' basketball teams both dominated the Southeast Georgia High School Athletic Conference during the 1932-1933 inaugural season. By 1935, both teams had won their third consecutive annual titles. In 1935 and 1936, the boys' team won the state basketball championship and was invited to play in the annual Southern Intercollegiate Basketball Tournament at the Tuskegee Institute. The girls' team was also invited to play in this tournament in 1936.

Tennis was introduced in 1931 and a tennis club was founded in 1933. The tennis program was so successful that Dorchester Academy became a charter member of the Georgia State Tennis Association (GSTA) and by 1936 Dorchester Academy students were competing in international tennis tournaments.

The school's tennis program was honored in 1938 when several nationally ranked tennis professionals played an exhibition match on campus. Most of the other stops were at colleges. The athletic programs at Dorchester Academy gave the students a feeling of pride in themselves and in what they could accomplish

 

Midway Dorchester Academy (Midway) Plaque Free Standing
Button Gwinnett

In this, Saint John's Parish, (now Liberty County), lived Button Gwinnett, signer of the Declaration of Independence, member of the Continental Congress, Speaker of the Assembly, and President of the Executive Council. He also was a member of the Convention that met in Savannah in October, 1776, in which he played a prominent part in drafting the first Constitution of the State of Georgia.

Born in Gloucestershire, England, in 1735, son of a Church of England vicar, Button Gwinnett came to Georgia in 1765 and acquired a store in Savannah. He shortly purchased St. Catherines Island in this parish. He moved to the island at once and engaged in farming and cattle raising. His business was transacted in Sunbury, then a thriving port.

On May 16, 1777, Mr. Gwinnett was mortally wounded in a duel fought on the outskirts of Savannah with Gen. Lachlan McIntosh, dying on May 19. Mr. Gwinnett's grave is supposedly in Savannah, but its exact location is unknown and unmarked. One of his rare autographs sold for over $50,000.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-2)

Mike Stroud Midway US 17 @ the Midway Church 1954 Free Standing
Civil Liberties at Dorchester Cooperative Center

In an effort to involve Liberty County African Americans in politics, the Dorchester Cooperative Center (DCC) began to help organize African American Voters. The DCC taught local African Americans the United States and Georgia constitutions, followed the activities of state and national representatives, charted how legislators voted on issues, interviewed candidates for office, and discussed issues and community goals.

They also instructed citizens on how to mark ballots and general behavior at the polls. In 1953, the DCC formed a branch of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP). In 1961, they gained national attention when the Southern Christian Leadership Conference (SCLC), in cooperation with the American Missionary Association (AMA), established " Leadership Training Programs and Citizenship Schools" at Dorchester Academy to train grass roots leaders from throughout the South. These leaders would go back to their communities to organize and train others.

Some of the influential SCLC leaders who frequented the DCC were SCLC Educational Director Dorothy Cotton, supervisor of teacher training Septima Clark, and Citizenship Program Administrator Andrew Young. Notable civil rights leaders who attended DCC programs included Ralph Abernathy, Wyatt Walker, and Dr.Kartin Luther King Jr. King's biographer David L. Lewis contends that King planned his 1963 Birmingham campaign while staying at Dorchester Academy in Elizabeth B. Moore Hall. Although DCC membership has steadily declined, the organization now known as the Dorchester Improvement Association (DIA), still exists and continues to educate and support African Americans in Liberty County.

The Power of Cooperation

The people of the Dorchester Cooperative Center understood that in order to make even the smallest difference everyone had to do their part. When the Farmers Co-op at the Center wanted to buy a tractor, twenty families pooled their resources and purchased their own cooperatively owned tractor. The debt on the tractor was completely repaid within the next three years.

Midway Dorchester Academy (Midway) Plaque Free Standing
Dorchester Academy

Formal education of blacks started with the Freedmen's Bureau in Liberty County. The Homestead School was continued with the aid of the American Missionary Association (AMA) and support of Reconstruction legislator William A. Golding. The AMA started with one acre of land and 77 students in 1870. In 1874, the Reverend Floyd Snelson succeeded Golding at the school.

The AMA and Snelson built a new school and named it Dorchester Academy in honor of its Puritan lineage. In 1890, Dorchester Academy started a boarding school. By 1917, the school had eight frame buildings on 103 acres, 300 students, and become a fully accredited high school.

The academic program ceased in 1940, with the construction of a consolidated public school for black youth at Riceboro. All academic equipment plus $8,000 were transferrred toward that consolidation. Since, the facilities have served the community under the title Dorchester Cooperative Center, Inc. AMA continues financial support.

Midway Dorchester Academy (Midway) 1983 Free Standing
Dorchester Academy Boy's

This Georgian Revival building, built in 1934 to replace an earlier structure destroyed by fire, was once part of an extensive school campus begun in 1871 by the American Missionary Association. The school, founded to serve the educational needs of black children of Liberty County and coastal Georgia, closed in 1940 after public education became available to black children.

In 1948 the American Missionary Association, with the assistance of the local community, expanded the dormitory into a community center, which by 1961 would become the focus for many Southern Christian Leadership Conference sponsored Citizen Education Workshops here (1962- 1964), training over 1,000 teachers and leaders, who in turn educated over 10,000 in the basics of voter registration and non-violent social change.

Dr. M.L. King, Jr. held a planning retreat here in 1962 to prepare for the 1963 Birmingham Campaign, one of the first major victories of the Civil Rights Movement.
 
Erected 1990 by Georgia Historic Marker. (Marker Number 089-27)

Mike Stroud Midway Dorchester Academy (Midway) 1990 Free Standing
Dorchester Presbyterian Church

This church, built in 1854 on a lot of four acres donated by B.A. Busbee, was first used for summer services only. On January 6, 1871, it was admitted into the Savannah Presbytery as an organized church of 14 members. The Rev. J. W. Montgomery was the first pastor. L.J. Mallard was the first ruling elder. The bell, from old Sunbury, was once used for church, school, market and town.

The font and communion service are from Midway Church. The font was a gift from Dr. William McWhir, the tankard from John Lambert, the communion service from Simon Monroe, Esq. Elders contributing most in later years - Preston Waite and Charles B. Jones.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-11.) 

Midway South 0.3 miles from Ga 38, 5.8 miles east of Midw 1957 Free Standing Excellent Refurbished 2015
Dr Lyman Hall

Dr. Lyman Hall was a Georgia signer of The Declaration Of Independence. He represented Saint John's Parish in the Continental Congress, and was a delegate from Georgia to the Second Continental Congress meeting in Philadelphia.

He was a founder of Sunbury and as Governor of Georgia (1783-1784) he gave strong support to education and religion. He was instrumental in obtaining the grant of land which led to the establishment of the University of Georgia.

Born in Wallingford, Connecticut, April 12, 1724, Dr. Hall moved to Saint John's Parish where he purchased the plantation now known as Hall's Knoll. He became a leading physician, planter, patriot, and was active in mercantile and shipping circles in Sunbury.

Dr. Hall died in 1790 and was buried on his plantation at Shell Bluff Landing in Burke County. In 1848, his remains were re-interred in Augusta, beneath the granite obelisk, 'The Signers' Monument.'

Midway Hwy 17 at the Midway Church Free Standing
Elizabeth B. Moore

In 1925, Elizabeth B. Moore began her six-year tenure as Dorchester Academy's only female, African American principal. She insisted that both parents and community accept responsibility for supporting the school. She believed that charity and tuition breaks should be given only when absolutely necessary.

Due to Moore's efforts, many parents began to recognize the importance of paying tuition and how it would benefit their children. Principal Moore expanded the school's curriculum to include art appreciation lessons and during her administration the music department greatly improved. She encouraged the children to take pride in their accomplishments by increasing the number of student presentations given to the public.

In 1927, Moore added fifteen minutes of physical education to the children's daily routine. With the addition of a science department in 1930, Dorchester Academy achieved accreditation. The growing success of the students under Moore's administration was so great that neighboring schools and colleges began to visit Dorchester Academy to recruit students for further education. Moore created the Dorchester Academy Alumni Association.

 

Mike Stroud Midway Hwy 84 2004 Plaque Free Standing
General James Screven Killed in Battle Here

On November 24, 1778, General James Screven was mortally wounded in a battle fought near this spot.

With General Screven in the action were Major James Jackson, Colonel John White, Capt. Celerine Brusard and Capt. Edward Young, with 100 Continentals and 20 Mounted Miltia, against a force of 400 British Regulars, Refugees and Indians under Col. James Mark Prevost and Col. Daniel McGirth. General Screven died from his wounds the following day.
 
Erected 1957 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 89-17)

Mike Stroud Midway Hwy 17 South 1957 Free Standing Poor Needs Refurbishing
Hall's Knoll

Home-site of Dr. Lyman Hall, signer of the Declaration of Independence, member of the First Continental Congress, Governor of Georgia, member of Midway Congregational church near here. Graduate of Yale University, (1747). Born in Wallingford, Conn., April 12, 1724. Dr. Hall moved to the Puritan Colony at Dorchester, S.C. in 1757 and after those Puritans had established themselves here in Saint John`s Parish in the Province of Georgia, he moved to this place and became the leading physician of his time.

He died Oct. 19, 1790, and was buried on a bluff overlooking the Savannah River. In 1848 his body was re-interred in Augusta with that of George Walton, another Georgia signer of the Declaration of Independence, beneath the Signers Monument, a granite obelisk.

St. John`s Parish was later named Liberty County in commemoration of the patriotism of the Midway Colonists here, who, from the passage of the Stamp Act, became the most uncompromising champions of liberty, and, who, in advance of the remainder of the Province, took radical action by sending Dr. Lyman Hall to the Continental Congress in Philadelphia as a delegate before the Province 


Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-1)

Mike Stroud Midway Hwy 17 North, Midway GA 1954 Free Standing
Kilpatrick and Mower at Midway Church Midway
Midway Church

Midway Church

Midway US 17 and Martin Rd 1930
Midway Congregational Church Midway Hwy 17 @ The Midway Church Needs cleaning
Midway Museum

Midway Museum<

Midway Hwy 17 1990
Nathan Brownson

Nathan Brownso

Midway US 17 at Midway Church, Midway 1992
New Life For Dorchester Academy 1932-1940

J. Roosevelt Jenkins, who was Dorchester Academy's assistant principal, science teacher and athletic director, replaced Elizabeth Moore as principal after her death in 1932. He continued to strengthen the school's curriculum and the thriving athletic programs. During his administration, Dorchester Academy was in its academic prime. In 1934 the entire graduating class was admitted to college. Jenkins made sure the school kept its Georgia accreditation. In doing so,

Dorchester Academy earned the coveted "A rating" from the Southern Association of Colleges and Secondary Schools. In 1934, the school was classified as a Group I Georgia accredited high school. This meant it was one of " the best schools in teaching staff, equipment or laboratory, library and buildings, and three fourths of the academic teachers holding degrees." The boys' dormitory, which burned down in 1932, was rebuilt and formally dedicated as the Elizabeth B. Moore Hall

During this time, public school opportunities were growing for African Americans in Liberty County. The Board of Education had, until then, neglected to adequately fund African American public education. With the creation and growth of the Liberty County Training (LCTS) in the 1930s, accredited, public, adequately funded, county administered African American high school education was now available. Because of this the American Missionary Association (AMA) closed Dorchester Academy in the spring of 1940 because they did not want to duplicate the work of the local public schools. All of the 1940 twelfth grade students voted to receive their diplomas from Dorchester Academy and the remaining students were distributed among the other African American public schools in the county.

Midway Dorchester Academy (Midway) 2004 Plaque Free Standing
Old Sunbury Road

Old Sunbury Road

Midway US 17 at Midway Church 1956
Road to Sunbury

Road to Sunbur

Midway US 17/Ga 25 at Midway Church, Midway
Savannah New Inverness Road 1736

This highway follows an old colonial road constructed in 1736 as a measure of defense against the Spanish and Spanish Indians by connecting the fighting Scotch Highlanders at New Inverness (now Darien) with Savannah.

It was surveyed and cleared by soldiers and Indians furnished by Tomo-chi-chi under the direction of Capt. Hugh MacKay by order of Gen. James Oglethorpe.

The road was traveled by such famous Georgians as Button Gwinnett, Dr. Lyman Hall, and John and Joseph LeConte.
 
Erected by Works Progress Administration Marker. (Marker Number 17 C-6)

Mike Stroud Midway US 17 opposite Midway Church, Midway 1935 - 1940 Free Standing Poor
Sunbury and Fort Morris Midway The intersection of Hwy 17 & Hwy 84 1957 Excellent
Susie King Taylor (1848-1912)

Educator, nurse, and author Susannah "Susie" Baker King Taylor was born into an enslaved Geechee family on the Grest Plantation in Liberty County, Georgia. Educated as a child in secret schools in Savannah, she escaped slavery in 1862 during the Civil War. In 1863 she married Sgt. Edward King of the first all-black U.S. Army regiment, the 1st South Carolina Volunteers/33rd U.S. Colored Troops. Moving with his regiment, she served as nurse, laundress, and teacher. After the war, she opened schools for African Americans in Savannah and Midway.

In 1874, King moved to Boston, returning to Midway in 1879 to marry Russell Taylor at the Medway Chapel and School located here. In 1902, she published her memoir, Reminiscences of My Life in Camp with the 33rd United States Colored Troops. Susie King Taylor is buried in Massachusetts.

Midway (Hwy 17) 672 North Coastal Highway, Midway GA 31320 2019 Free Standing Excellent New
The Rev Mr John Osgood

This is the grave of Rev. Mr. John Osgood, who came to Midway with the first settlers in 1754 from Dorchester, S.C., and served them faithfully as their minister and friend until his final sermon, May 5, 1773. Born in Dorchester, one of their own people,

Mr. Osgood received part of his education from their old pastor, the Rev. Mr. Fisher, and was graduated from Harvard in 1733.

Ordained to the pastoral charge of the Congregational Church November 24, 1735, the Rev. Mr. Osgood ministered to these people, in Dorchester and in Midway, for 38 years. He died on August 2, 1773.

Midway Intersection of (U.S. 17) and Martin Street, on the right when traveling so 1957 Free Standing Excellent New
Union Brotherhood Society

Union Brotherh

Midway Holmestown Road 2007
Taylors Creek Methodist Church Old Fort Stewart
First African Baptist Church

First African

Riceboro Ga. 119 at Barrington Ferry Rd, west of U.S. 17 1996
Lambert Plantation

Lambert Plantation

Riceboro Hwy 17 1994
Leconte Botanical Gardens

Five miles west of here on the old Post Road, the southern most postal route in America, is the site of the home and botanical garden of Louis LeConte, naturalist, mathematician, and scholar, for whom the famous LeConte Pear was named.

A native of New Jersey, Dr. LeConte was married to Ann Quarterman, a member of Midway Church in 1812. He established his famed botanical gardens on his extensive plantation. In his attic he fitted a chemical laboratory which included novelties of a botanical garden in which he cultivated rare plants, which came from all parts of the world. Although the modest Dr. LeConte did not exploit his achievements, it was nothing unusual for visitors from foreign lands to view his gardens.

Dr. LeConte's internationally known sons, Dr. John LeConte, born in 1818 and Dr. Joseph LeConte, born in 1823, at the family plantation, were two of the st distinguished scientific scholars of the nineteenth century. They made the University of California famous.

Riceboro Hwy 17 & Sandy Run Rd 1954 Free Standing
Old Post Road

Old Post Road<

Riceboro March 3, 1950
Riceborough

Riceborough

Riceboro 1957
Simon Munro

In the family cemetery on this plantation, Westfield, Simon Munro, donor of the silver communion service used for many years in old Midway Congregational church, is buried. Early in the Revolutionary War, Simon Munro, a resident of St. John's Parish, was banished from the State of Georgia, and forbidden to set foot within its border, becasue of his Tory activities.

After repeated petitions from his friends and neighbors, the banishment was lifted and he was allowed to return to his home and family

Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-23.)
 

Riceboro Shell and Briar Bay Rd 1958 Free Standing
Skirmish in Bulltown Swamp

Skirmish in Bulltown S

Riceboro Hwy 17 near I-95 Interchange 1957 Very close to Hwy 17
William Bartram Trail

William Bartra

Riceboro Barrington Ferry Rd., South of Sandy Run Rd, South of Riceboro Unknown, Missing Missing
Woodmanston Plantation

Established in 1760 by William and John Eatton LeConte, Woodmanston became one of Georgia's earliest inland swamp rice plantations. In spite of Indian attacks and marauding armies during the Revolution, Woodmanston prospered.

In 1810 control of Woodmanston passed to Louis LeConte, John Eatton's son. Louis spent much of his time creating a botanical garden which became world famous for its collection of bulbs and camellias. Louis died in 1838 and his garden was eventually lost.

Two of Louis LeConte's children, John and Joseph, became professors at the University of California at Berkley. John became the university's first president. Joseph is remembered for his geological research and as a founder of the Sierra Club.

In 1973 Woodmanston was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Mike Stroud Riceboro 1996 Free Standing
Fort Morris Sunbury
Saint John's Lodge Number Six

Saint John's lodge Num

Sunbury Sunbury Historic Site Center has turned reddish
Sunbury

Sunbury

Many

Sunbury Sunbury Historic Site 1957
Sunbury Cemetery

Sunbury Cemetery

Sunbury Sunbury Historic Site 1957
The Dead Town Of Sunbury As General James Oglethorpe explored this area along the Medway River in 1734, he marveled at its potential for a seaport city. Captain Mark Carr was a member of Oglethorpe's regiment and an early settler in this area of Georgia. As trade increased in early colonial Georgia, Captain Carr petitioned for a land grant to bring Oglethorpe's idea into reality. He was allotted 500 acres from the King of England. Using this land, Carr established the town of Sunbury in 1758. Carr was an early developer. He laid out lots and public squares here on the Medway River in St. John's Parish. He hoped to sell these lots for a profit. (Click on the weblink for additional information) Sunbury Brigantine Dunsmore Road near Fort Morris Road 1957
The Famous Sunbury Masonic Oak Sunbury
City of Walthourville

City of Waltho

Walthourville 2007
Walthourville Baptist Church

Walthourville Baptist

Walthourville 2003