Historical Markers

Records 11 to 20 of 62
 
Name
Text
Photo 1
Photo by
Area
Location
Date Placed
Type
Condition
Status
Fort Morris Cannon

This small cannon was a part of the armament of historic Fort Morris at Sunbury during the American Revolution. In November, 1778, a superior British force from Florida under Colonel Fuser of the 60th Regiment besieged the Fort. To the ultimatum to surrender the American Commander, Colonel John McIntosh, sent back the laconic reply: "COME AND TAKE IT". The enemy thereupon abandoned the siege and retired southward. In January, 1779, the British returned to Sunbury by water. Fort Morris was then under the command of Major Joseph Lane of the Continental army.

Ordered by his superiors to evacuate Sunbury following the fall of Savannah, Lane found reasons to disobey and undertook to defend the post against the overwhelming British force under General Augustin Prevost. After a short but heavy bombardment the Fort surrendered on January 9, 1779, with its garrison of 159 Continentals and 45 militia.

This cannon, which was excavated at the site of the ruins of the famous Revolutionary fortification in 1940, stands here as a reminder of America`s hard-won struggle to achieve Independence.

Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-22)

 

Mike Stroud Hinesville Liberty County Historic Courthouse 1958 Free Standing
Harrison Family Cemetery

Although the gravestones have been destroyed by weathering and vandalism, it is believed that about a dozen people are buried in this family cemetery. William Harrison died March 30, 1883, in the 72nd year of his age. His wife, Sarah Sylvester Smith Harrison (born c. 1819) was born in Providence, Rhode Island.

On January 4, 1886, Mrs. Sarah Harrison and six surviving children, heirs at law of the late William Harrison, agreed that part of the proceeds from collectible notes and accounts should be used for the purpose of erecting stones at the grave of William Harrison, deceased, and putting up a substantial enclosure around the family cemetery. Four of their children, William C. (born c. 1842), Nicholas F. (born c. 1844), Mary C. (born c. 1846), and Anna (born c. 1852), who apparently preceded their parents in death, may have been buried here. Their son, William L. Harrison (c.1859-1890) is probably interred here, also.

William Harrison operated one of the earliest mercantile stores in Hinesville and served as Hinesville postmaster and Liberty County treasurer.

Hinesville Sherwood Drive in Hinesville 1998 Free Standing Poor
Hinesville and Liberty County WWII Veterans Monument

Erected in honor
of the
men and women
of
Hinesville
and
Liberty County
who served in the
Armed Forces of the
United States of America
in World War Two.

Glory to them that died in this great cause!

Lee Hattabaugh Hinesville Georgia National Guard Armory Site Monument Good
Hinesville Methodist Church

The year 1837 marked the founding of Hinesville and the establishment of the Hinesville Methodist Church. For one hundred years this was the only church in Hinesville. The first services were held in a small frame building near the Bradwell Institute on Courthouse Square. A larger structure was later erected and used until 1942 when the church built a new edifice at the corner of main Street and Memorial Drive. In 1985 a new building was completed.

The first recorded trustees of the church were Edward Way, E.O. Andrews, John Wells, Thomas Sheppard and David Zoucks.

In 1987 the congregation celebrated one hundred and fifty years of doing the Lord`s work in Hinesville.

Hinesville 203 N Main St 1998 Free Standing
Liberty Armory Site

Returning from the Revolution, the soldiers of Liberty County re-organized themselves into a troop of cavalry, known as the Liberty Dragoons, later the Liberty Independent Troop, the oldest cavalry company in Georgia. In continuous existence since that time, this military company has participated in every war in which this country has been engaged since the Revolution. As late as 1916 the troop served as a cavalry company on the Mexican Border.

When the company went to France in World War I, it was converted to Company B, 106th Field Signal Battalion. In World War II, it became Battery B, 101st Anti-Aircraft Artillery Gun Battalion and took part in the campaign in New Guinea. During the Korean conflict the battery served at Camp Stewart, Ga., and at Camp McCoy, Wisconsin.

At this armory site have taken place some of the most brilliant and colorful tournaments and parades of the Old South.
 
Erected 1954 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-4A)

Mike Stroud Hinesville 1954 Free Standing
Liberty County

Liberty County, an original county, was created by the Consitution of Feb. 5, 1777 from Creek Cession of May 20, 1733. It had been organized in 1758 as the Parishes of St. John, St. Andrew, and St. James, the theatre of many important events during the Revolution, Liberty County was named for American Independence. Form it all of Long and McIntosh Counties were formed.

Samuel Morecock was commissioned Sheriff in 1778. Wm. Barnard became Surveyor, Feb 17, 1782. Francis Coddington in 1785 was made Clerk of Inf, and Sup. Courts of Liberty, Glynn and Camden Counties. John Lawson was sworn in as Coroner in 1790.
 
Erected 1956 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-6.)

Mike Stroud Hinesville 1956 Free Standing
Liberty County Confederate Monument 1861-1865

Liberty County Confederate Monument 1861-1865

War Between the States

"Lord God of hosts

defend us yet

Lest we forget.

lest we forget."

Liberty County Confederate Monument (South Face)

Liberty Independent Troop G 5th Ga. Cavalry

Liberty Guards Troop D 5th Ga. Cavalry

Liberty Mounted Rangers Jeff Davis Legion, Troop B 20th Batt. Ga. Cavalry

Liberty County Confederate Monument (West Face)

Erected by the Liberty County Chapter, United Daughters of the Confederacy, In memory of the Confederate soldiers of Liberty County, The record of whose sublime self-sacrifice and undying devotion to duty in the service of their country is the proud heritage of a loyal posterity. C.S.A. Liberty County Confederate Monument,

Liberty County Confederate Monument (North Face)

Liberty Volunteers Co. H 25th Regt. Ga. Infantry

Altamaha Scouts Co. I 25th Regt. Ga. Infantry

Troop H 29th Batt. Ga. Cavalry Ga. Infantry

Altamaha Scouts Co. I 25th Regt. Ga. Infantry

Troop H 29th Batt. Ga. Cavalry

 

Mike Stroud Hinesville Historic Couthouse Square Monument Excellent
M1A1 90mm Anti-Aircraft Gun

Replacing the aging 3-inch gun as the staple of Army heavy antiaircraft artillery at the dawn of the war, the 90mm gun went on to earn a well deserved place among the finest artillery pieces fielded by the Allies in World War II. Intended to meet the threat posed by aircraft capable of flying faster and higher, work on the 90mm began in earnest in 1938. The 90mm gun M1 was standardized in March 1940. An M1A1 version followed that added a small loading tray to the breech ring and included accommodations for a spring rammer to facilitate faster reloading. The updated M2 version of the ninety was standardized in May 1943 and sported a redesigned breech that mounted a fully automatic fuze setter-rammer. This improvement increased the 90mm gun's rate of fire to an impressive 23 to 28 round per minute.

The initial M1 mount for the ninety was a traditional “spider” design with a detachable platform and one single-axle, dual-wheeled bogie (four wheels total). In May 1941, the M1A1 replaced the original model as the standard mount for the ninety. The M1A1 mount was essentially the same as the M1 version, but introduced remote control capabilities that allowed the gun to be aimed by the battery's director through new electric-hydraulic mechanisms.

Field evaluations of the M1A1 mounts spurred development of the enhanced M2 mount, standardized in May 1943. The M2 was intended to increase the 90mm gun's capabilities in its secondary role against ground targets. The redesigned M2 featured single-axel front and rear two-tire bogies, folding platforms and armor shielding for the gun crew. Unlike the earlier mounts, it was not necessary to fully emplace the M2 before firing, enabling the 90mm gun to engage both air and ground targets more quickly. The M2 mount also depressed to a -10°, allowing the ninety to wrestle with ground troops, armored vehicles and various water craft when necessary. Early test versions of the M2 mount, notable the T2E1, made it to the field mounting M1 or M1A1 guns while development of the rammer for the 90mm M2 gun was completed.

Additionally, there was a fixed-mount M3 pedestal designed for the M1 gun. This heavily armored mount was designed primarily to convert the ninety into an effective anti-motor torpedo boat weapon, although the M3 mount was also able to fully elevate to +80° and engage aircraft by manual or remote control. After all, the 90mm was still first and foremost an antiaircraft gun. All 90mm mounts incorporated a direct fire sighting system for use against ground targets or watercraft. 90mm antiaircraft guns

90mm Antiaircraft Gun Facts
Firing Table Muzzle Velocity: 2,700 feet/second
Breech: Semi-automatic
Maximum Rate of Fire: 15 to 25 rounds/minute
Elevation Limits: 0° to 80° (down to -10° on the M2 mounts)
Recoil Type: Hydro-pneumatic
Fire Control Director: M7 or M9
Maximum Effective Slant Range: 11,500 yards
Maximum Effective Horizontal Range: 12,600 yards
Maximum Effective Vertical Range: 11,000 yards
Maximum Effective Fire Control Altitude: 30,000 feet

Actual muzzle velocity was dependent on ammunition used and environmental conditions. Maximum range was limited by a 30-second timed fuze.

Lee Hattabaugh Hinesville National Guard Armory Site Plaque Free Standing
Old Liberty County Jail

While this building was not Liberty County's first jail, it served longer than any previous jail. When in was built in 1892 the jail had "all the modern improvements and conveniences of a first class prison." Eighty years later it was condemned by Georgia Governor Lester Maddox as "a rotten, filthy rathole."

Although there is not record of its construction or its architect, it is known that the contractor, a Mr. Parkhill, had completed the two-story, three-bay brick structure by October 1892.

The interior of the jail is divided by a brick wall into two sections housing a bull-pen (or drunk tank) and two cells downstairs and two cells and the upper part of the bull-pen upstairs.

A new county jail was opened in 1969 and the Old Jail was sold at auction on March 3, 1970 to the Liberty County Historical Society, which eventually donated the building to the City of Hinesville. The Old Jail is now on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected 1998 by The Liberty County Historical Society.

Lee Hattabaugh Hinesville S. Main St. 1 Block South of the Courthouse 1998 Free Standing
Pleasant Grove AME Church Hinesville 1450 Oglethorpe Hwy W (US 84) 2003 Free Standing