Historical Markers

Records 51 to 60 of 62
 
Name
Text
Photo 1
Photo by
Area
Location
Date Placed
Type
Condition
Status
Simon Munro

In the family cemetery on this plantation, Westfield, Simon Munro, donor of the silver communion service used for many years in old Midway Congregational church, is buried. Early in the Revolutionary War, Simon Munro, a resident of St. John's Parish, was banished from the State of Georgia, and forbidden to set foot within its border, becasue of his Tory activities.

After repeated petitions from his friends and neighbors, the banishment was lifted and he was allowed to return to his home and family

Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 089-23.)
 

Riceboro Shell and Briar Bay Rd 1958 Free Standing
Skirmish in Bulltown Swamp

Skirmish in Bulltown S

Riceboro Hwy 17 near I-95 Interchange 1957 Very close to Hwy 17
William Bartram Trail

William Bartra

Riceboro Barrington Ferry Rd., South of Sandy Run Rd, South of Riceboro Unknown, Missing Missing
Woodmanston Plantation

Established in 1760 by William and John Eatton LeConte, Woodmanston became one of Georgia's earliest inland swamp rice plantations. In spite of Indian attacks and marauding armies during the Revolution, Woodmanston prospered.

In 1810 control of Woodmanston passed to Louis LeConte, John Eatton's son. Louis spent much of his time creating a botanical garden which became world famous for its collection of bulbs and camellias. Louis died in 1838 and his garden was eventually lost.

Two of Louis LeConte's children, John and Joseph, became professors at the University of California at Berkley. John became the university's first president. Joseph is remembered for his geological research and as a founder of the Sierra Club.

In 1973 Woodmanston was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

Mike Stroud Riceboro 1996 Free Standing
Fort Morris Sunbury
Saint John's Lodge Number Six

Saint John's lodge Num

Sunbury Sunbury Historic Site Center has turned reddish
Sunbury

Sunbury

Many

Sunbury Sunbury Historic Site 1957
Sunbury Cemetery

Sunbury Cemetery

Sunbury Sunbury Historic Site 1957
The Dead Town Of Sunbury As General James Oglethorpe explored this area along the Medway River in 1734, he marveled at its potential for a seaport city. Captain Mark Carr was a member of Oglethorpe's regiment and an early settler in this area of Georgia. As trade increased in early colonial Georgia, Captain Carr petitioned for a land grant to bring Oglethorpe's idea into reality. He was allotted 500 acres from the King of England. Using this land, Carr established the town of Sunbury in 1758. Carr was an early developer. He laid out lots and public squares here on the Medway River in St. John's Parish. He hoped to sell these lots for a profit. (Click on the weblink for additional information) Sunbury Brigantine Dunsmore Road near Fort Morris Road 1957
The Famous Sunbury Masonic Oak Sunbury