Historical Markers View

Page 
 of 56
Records 1 to 1 of 56
Name Colonels Island
Text

Until about 1778 this island was called Bermuda, but afterward called Colonel’s Island because of the large number of colonels having plantations here. Major plantations included “Woodville,” “Herron’s Point,” “Maxwellton,” “Suligree,” “Maybank,: “Black Rock,” “Laws,” “Cedar Point,” “Hickory Hill,” “Dunham’s,” and “Melon Bluff.”

Rice and indigo were the principal money crops grown on Colonel’s Island during the antebellum era. During the War Between the States the island was also a source of salt, an essential ingredient in the making of gunpowder. Long before European explorers reached North America Colonel’s Island was a part of the Guale Indian kingdom of the Creek Nation.

Photo 1
Photo 2
Photo Date
Area Colonels Island
Location Ga 38 at Kings Road on Colonel's Island
Website https://www.hmdb.org/marker.asp?marker=62921
Date Placed 1996
Placed By Liberty County Historical Society
Condition Fair
Adopted by
Page 
 of 56
Records 1 to 1 of 56